The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

NU invites Speakers and Authors to speak about Special Operations

2023 marks the 29th Norwich University Military Writers’ Symposium. Each year the symposium holds an informational topic session where experts are invited to speak about their experience.  

“I am excited to see how the authors/speakers convey the lifestyle of special operations to people with little or no military knowledge,” said Amrutaa Vibho, 21, Physics & Math Major, Corps of Cadets’26. “From my experience, it was hard to even explain about Rookdom to family and friends back home.” 

This year, Norwich has taken steps to speak to students and staff on the topic “Train & Fight to Win: An exploration of Global Special Operation Forces.”  

The Military Writers’ Symposium takes place on campus, October 10th – 11th, 2023, where the Corps will be expecting a march down in 1800, 10OCT2023, to Plumley Armory. 

These speakers and authors have either published or have something published about them and are invited by the Research Fellows of the Military Symposium to share their experiences. They also represent over 150 special operation-related personnel, both in service and retired, present on campus.  

“It will feature former operators and some of the world’s leading military writers, including 2023 William E. Colby Military Writers’ Award winner Charles E. Stanley for his book, Lost Airmen: The Epic Rescue of WWII U.S. Bomber Crews Stranded behind Enemy Lines.” (Peace and War Center) 

The Peace and War Center has recruited speakers for both days and has volunteers, students from the corps and civilian sector, to experience and help moderate the assigned topic of interest. 

The opportunity to meet and talk to these people who have specialized in such fields is crazy, Norwich has really taken the step to provide students the best opportunity,” said Toni Adipietro, age 21, Criminal Justice major, Corps of Cadets’24.  

Adipietro has shared her excitement about moderating the session with LTC (Ret.) Jeff Tiegs who has served more than twenty-five years as a counterterrorism and counterinsurgency expert in US Army Special Operations, Delta Company. 

There are additional authors and speakers, such as the first Norwich cadet who had graduated from ranger school, female personnel who will share their experience of gender influence in special operations here on campus, etc.  

The link is as applies: Featured Speakers, Authors, and Guests | Norwich University 

“The Special Operations force wants to see the work of civilian soldiery in a military campus and learn how it connects to the military,” said Vibho. 

“I am excited to connect with the women who had influenced special operations and learn what they had done to make a difference,” said Zoha Alam, age 20, Biology major, Corps of Cadets’24.  

“It makes the effort in preparing microscopic.” 

The Military Symposium will be held starting Tuesday and ending Wednesday with a dinner (link to details posted at the bottom.) All dinner tickets were sold at this time.   

Students and Staff are free to attend any session in person, but online live sessions are available on the website.  

Schedule: Military Writers’ Symposium | Norwich University