The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Students reflect on fall ftx schedule during midterms

This fall semester, numerous students at Norwich University have felt the impact of a demanding midterm week. 

My midterm week was busy! Lots of assignments to complete on top of studying for mid-term tests and the upcoming FTX for the Marine Corps,” said Jasmin Mann, 20, a junior Corps of Cadets psychology major from Virginia.  

Balancing work, classes, and mental well-being becomes challenging when faced with a week filled with exams and assignments, each contributing significantly to the final grade. 

I found it extremely difficult to manage everything and not get overly stressed by anything that came up. 

The unique nature of nature being a military university has even more challenges for the Corps of Cadets, who are much of the student body. 

“My professors had different approaches to deadlines, adding an extra layer of stress to an already demanding week,” said Mann.  

Balancing military duties and academics during midterm week is understandably difficult and challenging, but it’s part of the Norwich experience. 

On the other hand, some students reflect that professors were a big help during this stressful and important week. 

The professors were a big help in getting me ready for my exams,” said Shane Thompson, 19, a sophomore civilian CSIA major from Massachusetts. “They [professors] held study sessions and provided study guides, making sure we were prepared for exams,” said Thompson. 

Many professors understand how stressful this week is; therefore, they rescheduled midterm exams to give students enough time to prepare. 

Professors have offered office hours, they respond to emails and have held review sessions where we can ask questions,” said Jones. Homework tends to also be lighter in some of my classes during midterm weeks. 

Norwich University students, diverse in their backgrounds and pursuits, shared a common thread of facing and managing stress during midterms, illustrating the shared challenges that unite them.  

There are many strategies on how to ‘’survive’’ this week. Students shared that they kept checklists, updated them throughout the week, and made sure to get rest and eat well. 

I managed stress this past week by making sure I had time in between classes and studying to have downtime to relax and go to clubs or just spend some time with my friends,” said Thompson. 

Professors at Norwich genuinely care and offer support. It’s about staying ahead and being proactive. 

“Norwich has equipped me with tools for success. I look forward to the next academic challenges,” said Thompson. 

It’s a journey, and we navigate it together. Norwich prepares us not just academically but for life’s challenges.