The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Weekly Sports Recap of 10-14

Jasmine Olson

As we reach later in the seasons, each game becomes that much more important for the Cadet’s sports teams as these games will decide whether they make the playoffs or not, as well as rankings if they make the playoffs. An eventful week with plenty of road games, let’s take a dive into last week’s Norwich Cadets athletics results.  

Volleyball:  

The Cadets Volleyball team had three games this week, with all of them being on the road. Opening the week against Castleton, dropping the match 3-0. Keeping pace in all of the sets, the Cadets were unable to overcome late runs by the Spartans in each of the sets. Later in the week, the Cadets would go on the road for an in-conference tri-match. After dropping the first match to Simmons 3-0, the Cadets would defeat Albertus Magnus in a stunning 5-set match. After keeping pace with Simmons in the first set, the Cadets would fall behind in the next two sets, allowing Simmons to hold the sweep. Against Albertus Magnus, the Cadets would drop the first set 26-24. They would respond by winning the next two sets, bringing the match to 2-1, before Albertus Magnus would fight back to win the 4th set to tie the match. The Cadets would open the 5th and final set by taking a 10-3 lead and would hold that for the rest of the way, winning the overall match 3-2. As of 10/14, the Cadets have seven games left, with all but 1 being in-conference games. Currently, the Cadets stand at 8th place in the GNAC Standings, and if that were to hold, the Cadets would host New England College for the first game of the GNAC Playoffs.  

Next home event: vs Johnson & Wales (10/20 @ 1800) 

Women’s Soccer 

Women’s Soccer played three games this week, all of them on the road. In the first match of the week, they took on Regis, who would win 8-0. Rebecca Karis would net 9 saves on the night. In the second game, they took on Mitchell; in a game, they would lose 3-0. In a hard-fought game, the Cadets kept it within two until the 87th minute when a Mitchell shot found the back of the net. In this game, Rebecca Dawson would get eight saves, while Lindsey Duggan would have three shots on goal in 5 shot attempts. In the final game of the week, it was another road trip, this time to finish off a previously suspended game. The game resumed with the Cadets at a 2-0 deficit, and they would only give up one more goal on the day as Emmanuel would come away with the 3-0 victory. Dawson would compile 12 saves in the game. As of 10/14, the Cadets stand at 14th in the GNAC standings and are on the outside looking in for the playoffs. The Cadets are not eliminated from playoff contention yet, standing 9 points below the 10th-place team.  

Next home event: vs. University of St. Joseph CT (10/21 @ 1200) *SENIOR DAY* 

Women’s Rugby 

Women’s Rugby dropped a road game against Adrian College 39-0 on the 14th. Women Rugby has one last home game, facing off against the University of New England when they play host on the 21st, starting at 1300. 

Next home event: vs University of New England (10/21 @ 1300) 

Women’s Cross Country 

Women’s Cross Country hosted their first home meet in decades on Saturday the 14th. Freshman Joelle Moore led the Cadets, as well as the invitational all around, finishing first with a time of 24:38.6, setting a personal record for a 6k. Moore would take home GNAC Rookie and Runner of the Week awards, making it the second time that she claimed the Runner of the Week and her 4th GNAC Rookie of the Week Award of the season.  

Next home event: none. Next event: GNAC Conference Meet – 10/29 @ 1100 

Women’s Hockey 

Women’s Hockey opened the season with their first of two home exhibition games as they bested Utica 6-1. The season is slated to start on Friday, October 27th, as the Cadets take on Endicott College, with the puck drop scheduled for 6 P.M.  

Next home event: vs Endicott College (10/27 @ 1800) 

Men’s Soccer 

Men’s Soccer continues their terrific steak of going seven games unbeaten, with a 5-0-2 record during this stretch (as of 10/14). Playing two games last week, both on the road, the Cadets were able to come out on top in both of those games. Starting out against Mitchell, Jorgenson, Dweyer, and Swett would find the back of the net on goals, while Diego Fuentes would assist on 2 of the three goals on the afternoon. In total, the Cadets would tally 25 shots with 14 on goal compared to just seven shots and three on goal for Mitchell. In the second game of the week, the Cadets would face Lasell, a game they would win 3-1. Lashua, Statires, and Eka would score in this game, with Lashua and Fuentes recording assists on the day. The Cadets shot 12 total shots with five on goal, compared to 14 shots and four on goal from Lasell. As of 10/14, the Cadets stand in 5th place in the GNAC standings, and if that were to hold, the Cadets would play a road playoff game vs Albertus Magnus. The Cadets are well within striking distance of finishing in the top 3 in the GNAC, and the final stretch will be a huge one.  

Next event: vs Johnson & Wales University (10/21 @ 1500) Final Home Game 

Men’s Rugby 

Men’s Rugby continued their dominant season with a Senior Day win over the University of Vermont by a score of 32-13. In the last home game of the season, the Dirt Dogs will play a few more games before playoffs begin.  

Next home event: none  

Men’s Cross Country  

Men’s Cross Country took first place in the Norwich Cadets Invitational, an event hosted for the first time in over 20 years. The Cadets finished with 4 of the top 10 runners in the meet, with Sophomore Seth Varin leading the way at 29:34.6 en route to a second-place finish in the 8k. Varin would also collect the GNAC Rookie of the Week honor, making him the first Cadet to win a major weekly award for Men’s Cross Country this season. 

Next home event: none. Next event: GNAC Conference Meet – 10/29 @ 1215 

Golf 

In the GNAC Conference Golf Meet, the Golf team took second place, falling just seven shots behind champion NEC. The Cadets were led by Cooper Bertrand, who tied for 5th place in the Conference Meet, finishing ten strokes out of 1st place. Bertrand would finish as Co-Rookie of the Week. He would also be awarded the Co-Rookie of the Year award as well as the First Team All-Conference award. Giambattista finished on the Second Team All-Conference for the year. An incredible season for the Golf team, with a lot of positive things to look forward to in the next season. 

Football 

Football was inactive this week. They take the field on Saturday, 10/21 @ 1330 as they take on the United States Coast Guard Academy for the Little Army-Navy Game for an away contest.  

Next home event: 11/4 @ 1200 vs Springfield  

Men’s Hockey 

Men’s Hockey opened up their season with the first of two home exhibition games facing off against Saint Anselm College, defeating them 6-0. The Cadets have another home exhibition game on October 21st against Wentworth Institute of Technology, with the puck drop scheduled for 7 P.M. The regular season kicks off against Endicott College, seeking revenge after a 3-0 loss in the NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey Playoffs in the 2022-2023 season. This game will also be the Darn Tough Sock Toss. The puck drop for that game is scheduled for 7 P.M. 

Next home game: vs Endicott (10/28 @ 1900)