Students hosts Maha Shivaratri Event on campus

The idea of hosting Maha Shivratri originated from a Norwich student, Noah Scott, who saw a need on campus for students whose faith services were not readily available. After trying to organize a trip for Hindu students to a temple in Burlington, it was discovered that the temple closed during COVID, and the closest temple open was located 3 hours away from campus. Recognizing a need for our students, Noah Scott and Prabina Shrestha started working on organizing several cultural events for the Norwich student population.

Maha Shivratri from Sanskrit, “The Great Night of Shiva,” is the most important event in the Hindu spiritual calendar in which we worship lord Mahadev (Shiva). Lord Shiva is the oldest revered God in Hinduism, who is the creator, protector, and destroyer. Maha Shivratri is a major festival commemorating the conquering of darkness and ignorance in life, and is also the night of marriage between Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. For this event, we will be worshiping lord Mahadev and Parvati, and we will have a bonfire outside the chapel.

Norwich University’s ever-growing diverse student population opens a door for education, inclusiveness, and accessibility for others to learn the culture and customs of people worldwide. We are happy to start the conversation of answering our diverse student population’s needs by hosting Maha Shivratri. All are welcome regardless of faith or cultural background.

Date: 18th February
Location: Chapel

Time: 7:30-9:00 pm