The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Norwich Sports Recap Week of 10-28

Jasmine Olson

Another week of Cadets athletics has wrapped up, with some seasons finishing up and others getting underway. Let’s take another look at the Cadets athletics week in review, and once again, thanks to Norwich University Athletic Communications for the stats and results.  

Volleyball 

The Cadets had 3 Volleyball games this past week, two conference and one non-conference matchup. Opening up the week with a Senior Night contest against the Pilgrims of New England College, the Cadets fell in three sets. Heading on the road for a tri-match against Regis and Framingham State, the Cadets would drop both games. Regis, the number two team in the GNAC, and Framingham State, the number four team in the MASCAC, would prove to be tough challenges for the Cadets on Saturday. Despite the tough test, the Cadets were able to hold their own in the games.

On the weekend, Lillie Ells would tally 13 kills and added 21 digs. Sam Lebruska added nine kills and 22 digs for the tri-match. The Cadets do not have a home match left on the schedule and will take the court next in a tri-match featuring Lasell University and Dean College in Franklin, Mass., on Saturday, November 4th, with the Cadets playing at 1300 and 1500. As of 10/28, the Cadets stand at 11th place in the GNAC Volleyball standings and remain on the outside looking for the GNAC Playoffs, being behind Mitchell by one game for the 10th and final spot in the Volleyball playoffs.  

Next home event: none 

Women’s Soccer 

This last week the Norwich Women’s Soccer team played their final game of the season, beating Simmons 2-1. On the season, the Cadets finished 4-10-2 overall and 3-9-2 in GNAC action under first-year head coach Jared Cipriano. Offensively the Cadets would be led on the season by Bella Roy, who scored seven goals and added two assists to net 16 points on the season as well as winning a GNAC Player of the Week award. The two Cadets who spent the most time in goal were Rebecca Karis and Kayla Dawson, respectively. Karis would have 75 saves on the season with a 2.6 GAA. Dawson, for her part, would make 47 saves on the season and have a 1.7 GAA herself.  

Women’s Swim and Dive 

Women’s Swim and Dive placed 2nd out of 7 teams at the Roger Williams Invitational over the weekend to start the season. The Cadets would have medal finishers in many of the races and would do well in the team races, taking 4th in the 200m medley relays and 3rd place in the 200m free relay. The Cadets took home 160 points in the Invitational and look to keep that momentum going when they travel twice this week, going to Maine Maritime Academy and Husson University on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.  

Next home event: vs Saint Michael’s College (11/12 @ 1300) 

Women’s Hockey 

The Women’s Hockey team dropped their opening game against Endicott University by a score of 1-0. The goal would be given up with around 5 minutes left to go in the first period. Offensively the Cadets would be led by Livia Brooks, who had five shots in the game. Lauren Tuzik, Neris Archambault, and Jillian Jackson would get blocks in the game.

Olivia Boyer ended the day being 16/24 on faceoffs, while Leo Clark gave up one goal while making 20 saves on the night. The Cadets look to bounce back from the opening game loss by facing William Smith College on Friday, November 3rd, with the puck drop @ 1800 to open up NEHC action for the Cadets. Following the game against Endicott, the Cadets dropped three spots in the USCHO.com Women’s Top 15, going from 10th to 13th 

Next home event: vs William Smith College (11/3 @ 1800) 

Women’s Cross Country 

The GNAC Men’s + Women’s Cross Country Conference Championship Meet was postponed for November 4th at St. Joseph’s (ME). 

Rifle 

The co-ed Rifle team traveled to West Point to take on the Army and Coast Guard in their opening competition of the season on the 21st. The Cadets beat the Coast Guard but fell short of beating the Army, the 14th-ranked team in the country. Aiden Burris led the way with 1117 points, followed up by Freshman Ben Kelly scoring 1055. The Cadets take on MIT on November 4th before returning home for a Veterans Day match versus John Jay College. 

Next home event: vs John Jay College (11/4) 

Men’s Soccer 

Men’s Soccer had two games this week, one against Colby-Sawyer to round out the regular season and then against Albertus Magnus in the quarterfinal round of the GNAC Playoffs. Against Colby-Sawyer, the Cadets would win 3-0 with goals from Galler, Eka, and Lashua. Nicolas Lanza had seven saves in the shutout. In the first round of the GNAC playoffs, the Cadets would defeat Albertus Magnus 3-2, with goals coming from Statires, Fuentes, and Swett in the win. Lanza would have two saves in the game facing four shots on goal. The Cadets would be led offensively by the three-goal scorers and Eka, with the 4 of them all having one shot on goal.

The Cadets advance to the GNAC soccer Semi-Finals to face Number 1 Seed St Joseph (ME) on Tuesday, October 31st, with kickoff slated for 4 PM in Standish, Maine. (Men’s Soccer would win the semifinal match against top-seeded So Joseph (ME) to advance to the GNAC Men’s Soccer Championship game which will be played on Saturday, November 4th, with time TBA at the time of writing. They play Johnson & Wales in Providence for the championship.) 

Next home event: none  

Men’s Rugby 

The Dirt Dogs went on the road to Boston University and defeated them 41-12 to complete the perfect regular season at 6-0. The Cadets start their postseason play on the road to face the University of Maine in the NEWCRC Championship game, which will take place on Saturday, November 4th, at 1600 in Springfield, Mass. 

Next home event: none scheduled 

Men’s Swim and Dive 

In the opening meet of the season for the Cadets, the Roger Williams Invitational, the Cadets placed 2nd out of 5 teams competing on the afternoon. There was a lot of success for the Cadets as Senior Benjamin Stark and Junior Will Thompson would set meet records in the 200m Freestyle and the 100m Breaststroke, respectively. The Cadets took home 293 points in the meet en route to second place and look to build on that this week as they have two meets on the road, one at Maine Maritime Academy on Saturday and one at Husson the next day. The Cadets took both GNAC Swimmer of the Week and Rookie of the Week awards, with Ben Stark and Kristian Adlianitski taking home the awards, respectively. 

Next home event: vs St. Michael’s College (11/12 1300) 

Men’s Hockey 

The Men’s Hockey team beat No. 3 Endicott 4-1 on Saturday to start the season off 1-0 as well as getting revenge for last year’s NCAA Quarterfinal loss. The Cadets would open the scoring with a Zach Ophoven goal around midway through the first period. After an Endicott goal early in the second period, Johnny Johnson would answer with a powerplay goal to give the Cadets a 2-1 lead. An early-period powerplay goal from Bryan O’Mara would give the Cadets a 3-1 lead, while an empty netter from Adam Shuchart in the 3rd would be the final goal of the day for the 4-1 win.

Kerner would lead the Cadets pointwise, gathering three assists on the night. Freshman goaltender Sami Molu would make 24 saves in the game and earned his first win as well. The Cadet’s next two games are road games, with the first being against No. 1 Hobart and (receiving votes) Elmira College on 11/3 and 11/4 to open up the NEHC season for the Cadets. Following the win over then-number 3 Endicott, the Cadets moved from 8th place to 6th place in the USCHO.com Men’s Top 15.  

Next home event: vs UMass Boston (11/10 @ 1900), vs Johnson & Wales University (11/11 @ 1600) 

Men’s Cross Country 

Football 

The Cadet Football team had a road game against MIT on Saturday, a game in which a comeback attempt fell just short. The first quarter would be mostly scoreless, with MIT breaking the tie with less than a minute to go. The Cadets would answer on their next possession, trying to tie it up, but the PAT would be blocked. MIT would score once more in the first half and head into halftime up 14-6. Trevor Chase would haul in a 27-yard pass from Ryan O’Keefe to bring the Cadets within 1 in the 3rd quarter. A Justin Bryant rushing touchdown would give the Cadets their first lead of the game with just under 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. A long MIT run and the subsequent 2-point conversion would set MIT up by three less than a minute later.

The Cadets would answer with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Rylie Geyer to Will Thornton to take the lead back. MIT would take a 29-26 lead following another touchdown with just over 6 minutes left in the game. An incomplete pass on a 4th down attempt in the next Cadets possession would seal the deal on the afternoon. On the day, Ryan O’Keefe would be 11/18 for 185 yards and one touchdown, while Rylie Geyer would be 1/1 for 25 yards and a touchdown. Justin Bryant would have 105 yards rushing and a touchdown on 23 carries and would add 27 yards on two receptions.

Will Thornton hauled in 4 catches for 104 yards and a touchdown, including a 63-yard reception, while Trevor Chase would add 68 yards and a touchdown on six receptions. Defensively Jeremy Henault led the way with eight tackles and a forced fumble, while 3 Cadets would tally sacks on the day. The Cadets end the two-game road trip and return home for the next and last two games, including Senior Day.  

Next event: vs Springfield College (11/4 @ 1200)