The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Norwich collaborates with Good Measure Pub for Homecoming

Norwich University begins its collaboration with Good Measure to sell alcoholic beverages to students and alumni during Homecoming.

“We see this as a positive change for the students. This indicates the administration trusts the student body to handle their alcohol. Adult responsibilities mean you get adult privileges,” said Rodion Pedyuk, 21, a Corps of Cadets student majoring in CSIA and vice President of the SGA from Kyiv, Ukraine.

The partnership with Good Measure does not include SGA in the process; instead, it was made at a faculty level. It is important to note that the SGA did have multiple conversations with the administration over the topic of students needing more sources of alcohol on campus, as the Pub is only open three days a week, and the only other source is an open bar at official events which are not common and generally not open to the public and students unless invited.

Initially, students were given access to buying alcohol during Homecoming; however, they were told to be unable to bring it within the stadium.

This weekend, there will be a roped area set within the stadium for those with alcohol. Students will be able to bring alcohol into the stadium but are unable to take it back to the hill.

Norwich has partnered with Good Measure’s staff to regulate the flow of beer and seltzers and have bouncers to ID people. By avoiding, work-study students or members of Sodexo, Norwich will be able to ensure an unbiased process.

“This is a great opportunity to show jackman that they, the student body, can handle alcohol,” states Hannah Kolb, 21, a civilian student majoring in Criminal Justice from Northfield, VT.

“If there was a positive turnover from the students, SGA can rely on this when attempting to reform the alcohol policy,” said Kolb.

Norwich University has been positioned to be a dry campus. However, with previous events from the campus pub and Sodexo, the administration plans to continue the partnership with Good Measure for bigger occasions, including regimental events, symposiums, etc.

On the contrary, the Administration has made it clear that the alcohol policies in barracks and on the hill are still set in stone.

Events such as the Regimental ball, where alcoholic beverages are served, public safety is aware of students drinking but is there to ensure the safety of the night. That is, students being in rooms and those who are not at the legal age aren’t drinking.

The same expectations are applied to school events with alcohol available to students.

“From my perspective, having a greater control of alcohol helps in reducing the risks of harm,” states Hannah Kolb. “The more drunk people are, there will be an increased chance of fights. Additionally, the school can limit underage drinking and prevent young adults from being intoxicated unlawfully.”

SGA relies on the student body for more opportunities during Homecoming weekend.

“I do wish to see a change if the student body reaction to alcohol fairs well and the Norwich Administration sees that students can be trusted with alcohol. This is a college and military campus where alcohol exists in both realms. Having an earlier contact with such beverages could educate students and allow them to make wiser decisions in their career,” said Pedyuk.

Funds from this additional revenue stream would “go to the general operating expenses of the university…” said Mark Kolb, NU’s Interim Director of Communications, “and help Norwich offset the cost of other campus activities.”