The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

NU students expresses challenges with residing on campus for breaks

As the break unfolds, students at Norwich face unexpected hurdles, from dormitory confusion to makeshift kitchens, revealing the uncharted territories of an unpredictable hiatus. 

“Overall, the break wasn’t too bad, but the real challenge hit when the dining hall shut down, forcing me into a DIY cooking situation,” said Nikita Ponomarenko, 19, sophomore civilian, International Business and Management double major from Ukraine 

“Unfortunately, there was no communal kitchen for students, and the dorm equipment was both scarce and inadequate,” said Ponomarenko.

“On the bright side, apart from this culinary conundrum, everything else went smoothly.” 

Students’ varied experiences shed light on the struggles faced during the university break, with common themes of dormitory adjustments, limited dining services, and the absence of communal support, raising questions about the university’s preparedness for crucial student needs. 

For many students, the break presented an unexpected challenge in the form of a closed dining hall, thrusting them into the unidentifiable world of cooking. 

“My only hiccup was the limited availability of dorms—just three were open, and they [University officials] shuffled us around to new rooms without much explanation,” said Rodion Pedyuk, 21, junior Corp of Cadets, CSIA major from Ukraine. 

“On top of that, the absence of dining services was a problem. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if we could at least stay in our rooms with access to our fridges and cooking gear, said Pedyuk. “These two issues significantly soured my break experience.” 

As we can see, students have common problems that heavily affect their experience staying on campus.  

Even though a kitchen is available for students now, located in the International House, the kitchen was closed for the break period. The Norwich University officials provided no explanation. 

The closure of the dining hall during breaks raises questions about the university’s planning and support structures for students who rely on on-campus dining options. 

Looking ahead, students express hope for improvements during future breaks. 

As the winter break approaches, students who have to stay on campus hope that the university can create an environment where students can enjoy a more seamless and supportive break experience. 

“It would’ve been better if all the students were taken on a trip for a day,” said Amaranth Amaranth, 21, senior civilian, CSIA major from India. 

“I expected support during crucial times, but unfortunately, the international house wasn’t available to any of the international students when we needed it the most,” said Amaranth.  

“I can only hope it’ll be open during the winter break,” said Amaranth.