The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

President replacement stalled amid medical concerns

NU’s Board of Trustees nominated Retired USMC Lieutenant General John Broadmeadow to serve as the school’s next president.

Norwich’s Board of Trustees announced that its nomination for the school’s next president has “an emerging medical concern” and will postpone his appointment.

In a letter by Alan DeForest, the board’s chairman, posted to Vermont Biz’s website, retired USMC Lieutenant General John Broadmeadow will undergo a series of medical tests to determine the extent of the diagnosis, treatment plans, and the anticipated start date for assuming the presidency.

“The board has since discussed this news and unanimously elected to stay the course with John’s nomination,” DeForest wrote.

“We strongly believe that John, with his years of military and leadership experience, dedicated service to Norwich University as a member of the Board of Trustees, and love of this university, is the right person to lead at this time.”

Broadmeadow’s decision to be transparent about his health led to postponing scheduled town hall events and meetings.

Karen Gaines, the current acting president, will continue in her role until at least the spring, the letter said.

NU’s top position on campus opened abruptly when Mark Anarumo, the former president, announced his resignation less than a week before the spring semester began. Although Anarumo told the VT Digger that his decision to leave the school was “mutal,” trustees released a statement contradicting that characterization.

On November 29, 2023, trustees were told Anarumo “may have violated University policies,” the statement said. The board initiated an independent and outside investigation and concluded that “it was clear he violated Norwich’s core guiding values and University policy.”

Anarumo was placed on paid leave. He tendered his resignation Jan. 4, and it was accepted by the board five days later.