The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

The Daily Grind set to make a comeback in Krieztberg Library

The Daily Grind, a beloved but dormant campus coffee and snack spot in the Kreitzberg Library, is set to make a comeback, bringing excitement and anticipation among students, faculty, and staff.

“Glad it is opening again,” said Dan Taylor, 22, a civilian master’s in business administration major from Minden, Nevada. “If you are studying in the library and need a quick pick me up, it is a good option.”

The revival of the Daily Grind sparked enthusiasm among the campus community, reminiscing about past experiences and eagerly anticipating the return of a familiar hangout.

“The Daily Grind was a great place to meet up with staff or students and grab a snack or coffee,” said Nicole Krotinger, director of Norwich’s Counselling and Wellness Center. “I hope it opens soon.”

The Norwich student body is also excited about the reopening of the Daily Grind, recalling memories from when it was open pre-COVID.

“It’s a great idea to open it again,” said Neroly Mora, 22, a civilian majoring in architectural studies from Clifton, New Jersey. “It would encourage students to be there often and foster their studies when a snack is needed!”

The Daily Grind, once a hidden gem, holds fond memories for many. Previous customers remember delicious sandwiches, coffee, smoothies, and grilled cheese.

The Daily Grind opened in 2020 but closed during the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite that, it was never removed, as it was hidden behind a wall.

“I was usually studying in the library, and it gave me the opportunity to take a break from studying and grab a coffee or a snack and stretch my legs a little bit,” Taylor said.

christa Stook, the library acquisition and office manager, on the other hand, doesn’t believe that the reopening of the Daily Grind will be a major draw or enticement for students unless they offer food.

The community eagerly awaits updates from Sodexo, anticipating the reopening details and menu options.

“Currently, we are waiting to forward information until we have more to give…definite date on opening, menu options, etc.,” said Martha Franklin, a Sodexo general manager and a key figure in the reopening.

Franklin said Sodexo staff promised more details to come soon.

“Whether this is a draw remains to be seen,” Stook said.

The uncertainty adds a layer of anticipation to the reopening of the Daily Grind, leaving students curious about what lies ahead.

“I think it [the Daily Grind] has the potential,” Taylor said. “Most of the time when I was at the library, it was for studying, and having the coffee shop there was just an added bonus to a quiet study/workplace.”