The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

2024 solar eclipse crosses over Norwich campus  

At 3:56 PM, Norwich University witnessed the 2024 total solar eclipse for twenty-six seconds.  

“The solar eclipse was pretty radical…I saw it at Jackman steps. I saw the one in 2017, and it sucked because my phone camera broke, so this one was way better,” said Jose Aguilera Magdaleno, 18, a freshman corps of cadet criminal justice student from Dallas, Texas. 

The school allegedly ordered roughly 2000 pairs of eclipse glasses to make sure everyone had the opportunity to watch this event, as the next total eclipse that passes the United States will not be happening until August 20th, 2044. 

Students were invited to gather down by the softball field past the train tracks, and many others on campus found alternative areas, such as Paine Mountain or Dole Hill Cemetery, to witness the rare event. Afternoon classes and extracurricular activities during the eclipse were canceled for the day. 

“It was cold as shit, [but] the eclipse was super cool, and watching the light from the sun dissipate slowly felt like it was from some end of the world story,” said Kailey Drake, 20, a junior civilian psychology student from West Lebanon, New Hampshire.  

“Norwich did a good job informing students and letting them know the viewing area by sending out several emails. Although I do believe there could be more done by Norwich to make it more entertaining, making some sports balls or refreshments.”  

Many were seen scattered throughout the entire field, with music provided by the CAB office in the background. Students wore headbands with green balls attached to a bouncy wire, and many were also laughing, playing soccer, and tossing balls around as they waited for the eclipse.  

The Upper Parade ground was also seen as an area where students and visiting Northfield residents watched the eclipse, and lawn and beach chairs were found propped on the walkways and grass.  

A handful of students did not participate in the watch, even with the campus-wide excitement.  

“I don’t really care for it. It’s not something I think was worthy of looking at,” said an anonymous source. 

Despite not everyone wanting to participate, the eclipse was loved and celebrated by many.  

“All in all, I think it was a fun event, especially with my friends there and although it was brief, it deserves the hype,” Drake said.  

The student population hopes that Norwich will host an event like this again in twenty years!