The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

The evolution of The Chameleon: a beacon of creativity and innovation 

The transition of The Chameleon from a physical journal to an online platform marks a significant evolution in how creative expression is cultivated and shared within the Norwich community.  

“The Chameleon gave me a place where my creative work could live forever and be remembered,” said Caitlyn George, 22, a senior civilian English and psychology double major from Lennox, South Dakota. “There is something infinitely special about knowing people support, encourage, and accept your creativity.” 

For over six decades, The Chameleon served as a tangible testament to student creativity, offering a physical space where art, literature, and the diverse voices of Norwich students could coalesce and (be) celebrate.  

The move online, while bittersweet, opens new avenues for creativity that were previously unattainable, such as incorporating multimedia elements like video and audio into the publication. 

“Now that we are online, we hope to do things we couldn’t do in the past, said Sean Prentiss, Associate Professor of English and advisor for the Chameleon.  

“We have more control over our design and layout,” Prentiss said. “We have the chance to publish video and audio. We are excited to re-create the Chameleon.” 

The Chameleon is not just a literary journal but a mirror reflecting the growth, changes, and enduring spirit of the Norwich student body.  

The aspiration to include more translation work and multimedia content is a testament to the journal’s commitment to diversity and innovation. 

“As an English major, I know that college can suck all the creativity and the drive to create from a person,” George said.  

The Chameleon inspires Norwich University and Northfield schools’ students to maintain their creative endeavors, fueling inspiration across campus and the community with humanity’s zeal, perspectives, and determination. 

The journal provides a space where creativity is honored and preserved, lending a sense of permanence to the narratives and feelings shared in its contents. 

“Since we are transitioning from a paper-back literary journal to a website, this has opened many more cool opportunities for us., said Surayah Pierce, 24, a senior civilian English major from Millbrook, Alabama. 

“An idea I came up with was telling stories and poems in American Sign Language to create an inclusive website for a larger demographic,” Pierce said.  

This inclusive approach enriches the journal’s content. It makes it accessible to a broader audience, reflecting The Chameleon’s ongoing mission to be a space where all forms of creativity are valued and showcased. 

As The Chameleon has evolved and changed, it remains a tribute to the lasting significance of the arts and the need for environments where creativity can thrive free from conventional limitations. 

“Finally, please consider going with our team, Prentiss said. “We are always looking for editors.”  

You can email Sean Prentiss at [email protected] to join our team! If Norwich students create cool things, we’d love to see them.”