The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Kreitzberg Library: a quiet haven and hub of support at Norwich University

Norwich University Kreitzberg Library – E.F. Wall & Assoc. Inc.

Since opening its doors in 1993, the Krietzberg Library has been a popular destination for both Corps and civilian students for anything from a quiet place to study to seeking academic support.  

“I personally prefer doing homework in a semi-social open setting, but it really depends on the assignment,” said Carbur Rousseau, 20, sophomore civilian student ’26, majoring in Excercise Science from Vermont. “It helps to have other people to talk to or just have others in the general area”, Rousseau said when asked what he enjoys most about the library, which a lot of students would agree is an advantage to studying in the library’s mezzanine or the 2nd and 3rd-floor open areas.  

However, not all students prefer the library when it comes to finding places to do schoolwork. Some students consider the hike from the center of campus to the library is quite the journey during the school day. 

“I like to do my studying either in my room or I go to Mack [Hall],” said Judson Nash, 20, sophomore in the Corp of Cadets ‘26, majoring in International Business from Maine. “Even when classes are done, or during the weekend, I just prefer having a space to myself where I will be alone and blast my music. It helps me focus.”  

Regardless of whether some utilize it or not, the Krietzberg Library has always been a beacon of support for the students of Norwich University. “We primarily take on more of a support role [here at the library],” said Greg Sauer, Executive Director of the Krieztberg Library, Archives and Museum. 

Sauer then goes into detail about the different departments and amenities that the library has to offer, from the Counseling and Wellness Center to the Center for Academic Success and Achievement (CASA).  

In addition to the departments housed within Krietzberg Library, there are also benefits to just being at the library with other people.  

“[Krietzberg Library] bridges the social collaboration aspect and the more scholarly and academic elements of college life,” said Claire Veach, head of the library’s Research and Instruction, who believes that one of the most important amenities that the library provides is the research help. 

In addition to the academic support and assistance that the library offers, an extensive catalog of books and other texts is available for students. “While there is definitely a lot of interest in our physical catalog, I would have to say that it depends on your major,” Veach said.  

For many of the STEM-focused majors, students are more drawn to the more analytical and modern texts, and a lot of those can be found online and with the electronic materials we have, such as e-books and online peer-reviewed articles. 

However, there are certain academic disciplines like History, Art, Literature, and other traditional humanities more focused on print materials, especially the museum and archives.“But in terms of our overall usage, yes – digital material way outpaces the physical,” Veach said. 

That doesn’t mean physical books and materials are completely out of style. In the last fiscal year, from June 1 to May 31, over 4,000 physical books were checked in and out from Kreitzburg Library. Compared to other bigger and more public-focused libraries, that’s small – but those are some pretty good numbers for a relatively small university library. 

However, some students don’t see it that way. From an outside perspective, one could see the library as nothing more than a building with a bunch of books stored upstairs collecting dust. “There is a lot of downtime to study at the front desk because pretty much no one actually shows up,” said Terrence Bayly-Henshaw, 18, freshman civilian student ’27, majoring in Civil Engineering from New York who is working for the library as part of the Work Study program.  

“A big challenge that librarians and libraries face is that a good deal of their work is behind the scenes, and it’s a lot more than just checking books in and out for patrons,” Veach said in response.  

“Maintaining our electronic resources and web development, assisting students with academic research, working with students one-on-one, cataloging materials – so much of what we do is unseen,” Veach said. 

Regardless of what different people think about it or how they use it, the Krietzberg Library will continue to promote academic achievement and social collaboration for the students at Norwich University.