The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Catalyzing Student Success: Dr. Sarah Gallant’s passion for chemistry

From the small town of Mt. Arlington, New Jersey to the faculty at Norwich University, Dr. Sarah Gallant has followed her passion for chemistry and teaching. After earning her B.S. in Biochemistry from the University of Maryland and Ph.D. from Dartmouth College, she joined Norwich in 2017 as an adjunct instructor before becoming a full-time lecturer and now an Assistant Professor.

“I’ve been at Norwich since 2017 in various capacities!” Gallant shares. “I started as an adjunct instructor while I was in graduate school, and then I was hired as a full-time lecturer for two years. Since 2021, I have been an Assistant Professor.”

For Gallant, the best part of her job is the students. “The thing I like most about my job is working with students. I find academic and club advising to be extremely enriching; they always keep me on my toes.” She particularly enjoys research projects, stating, “Doing research with students and working with my classes to have those ‘aha’ moments really bring me a great sense of pride and joy.”

When asked about career goals, Gallant said “I hope to still be doing research with students and getting to share my favorite subjects. In the next five years, I hope to take more students to conferences and continue building my own research network.”

Her proudest accomplishments so far are the successes of her students – being accepted to special programs, graduate schools, conference presentations and publications. “I could not be prouder of my students and their success,” she beamed.

Gallant’s life motto comes from a fortune cookie received in graduate school: “Failure is the mother of success.”