The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

NU professor inspires through mentorship program

Elizabeth Gurian is a Professor of Criminal Justice at Norwich University, where she has taught for the past 13 years. Originally from Peace Dale, Rhode Island, Dr. Gurian’s educational background includes a Bachelor of Science in Human Physiology from Boston University, a Master of Science in Criminal Justice from Northeastern University, and a Ph.D. from the Institute of Criminology at the University of Cambridge.

“Working with students, especially on various research projects, is definitely the highlight for me,” Dr. Gurian shared about what she likes most about her job. Her goal for the next five years is to become a recognized expert blending AI/Machine Learning with large datasets to help predict and prevent violent crimes like serial and mass murders.

Among her proudest career accomplishments so far are writing a book on serial and mass murder and lone actor terrorism, as well as mentoring many undergraduate research apprentices over the years. Dr. Gurian lives by the motto of Seneca: “Associate with people who are likely to improve you. Welcome those whom you are capable of improving. The process is a mutual one. People learn as they teach.”

In her own words, some interesting facts about Dr. Gurian are: “I can say the alphabet backward. I once went to the movies with Stephen Hawking. And I lived on the same street Charles Darwin once lived on!”