Jepthe Soulouque ’17 Honored by the Athletic Trainers of Massachusetts

General 1/10/2023 2:27:00 PM

Northfield, Vt – Recently, Jepthe Soulouque ’17 was honored as the Athletic Trainer of the Year by the Athletic Trainers of Massachusetts (ATOM).  The former Norwich University football team captain is no stranger to either hard work or success.

The ATOM description of the award states, “the ATOM AT of the Year award recognizes an individual (or group of individuals) for their extraordinary contribution to the field of athletic training in a given year. The award is given to a Massachusetts athletic trainer who, over the past year, has gone above and beyond the call of duty in promoting and improving our profession, all while performing their normal duties as an athletic trainer.”

The foundations of Jepthe’s success could be seen in high school.  The Everette High School

(Everette, Mass) standout was a four-0year All-State honoree.  While athletic ability gets players noticed, there must be a superior level of dedication to obtain All-State honors each year.  The Crimson Tide, led by Jepthe, would win three Division I state titles and have two undefeated seasons during his time at Everette.

As a member of the Norwich football program, Jepthe already understood the importance of staying healthy.  During his college career, he played in an amazing 42 of a possible 43 games while being on the defensive line for the Cadets from 2013-16.  Jepthe was also a part of two bowl games and a trip to the NCAA Division III football playoffs while a Cadet.  His senior year he was voted a team captain by his teammates.  “Jepthe was a tremendous player for us.  His dedication and hard work really demonstrated the standard of our football program.  It’s no surprise that he has continued the same standard in his professional career,” said Head Coach Mark Murnyack.

Jepthe earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Athletic Training from Norwich University.  Dave Botelho, the Head Athletic Train0er at Norwich, described Jepthe as “always the most prepared student and athlete, and nobody was going to outwork him.”  As he finished his playing career, Jepthe began working with Norwich Strength and Conditioning during his final semester.  He then interned at Northeastern University as a strength and conditioning coach before becoming the athletic trainer at his high school alma mater, Everette High School.  Currently, he is the athletic trainer at Catholic Memorial in West Roxbury, Mass.