The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Cyber Professor eager to make his class his own

Faculty Spotlight

Meet Jonathan Adkins, assistant professor of Cyber Security and Digital Forensics.

This year marks his third year at Norwich after completing his PhD in Information Assurance at Nova Southeastern University. Asst. Prof Adkins decided to come to Norwich due to the advantage of being a smaller campus.

“I can pursue what I like to do and include them in my classes easier,” said Adkins.  

“It usually takes three years to make a class your own, and I am excited to hit that mark.”

This year, Adkins teaches computer forensics and pen taskings, where students learn how to break the system and “…use it for better cyber security.” During his time at Norwich, Adkins hopes to dive deeper into Artificial Intelligence research and enjoys mentoring more students.  

Currently, two students under Adkins’ mentorship are conducting research on deep fakes AI, audio, and imaging deep fakes. Adkins says his end state is to “see a paper published of their work.”  

He hopes that their research will be able to reach the CyRUP conference and soon at the Virginia Tech summer conference.

Additionally, his personal goal is to try to get more involved with more clubs, for instance, Club 1819, and mentions being at the halfway point to being promoted to a professor title.  To become a professor, an associate professor must spend six years total teaching and conducting research.