The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Norwich University stands firm through Vermont winters

Annually, Norwich University stands resilient against the severe winter conditions of Vermont, a contrast to the usual closures of other educational institutions due to weather.

“I don’t trust that I (and others) can drive safely without skidding or sliding on turns…” said Lindsay Gacad, lecturer in English and communications. “I strongly consider canceling classes.”

While snow, rain, and wind make the Norwich campus hazardous at times, the university strives to remain open and provide uninterrupted education to its students, balancing safety with its academic commitment.

“Our goal is to be able to provide every student with an education,” said William McCollough, commandant of cadets, and vice president of student affairs. “They [students] paid for it, so it’s our job to give it to them under every weather condition as long as it is safe as possible and does not put any lives in danger.”

The university’s policy affords faculty the discretion to cancel classes if necessary, ensuring their safety.

“It is important to give the discretion of our professors,” McCollough said. “Allowing canceling classes is important if it is necessary to complete their curriculum. So far, this hasn’t created any issues that may occur when doing so.”

“I have to drive about half an hour every day to attend classes at Norwich,” said Lukas Otterman, 18, an early college student from Orange, Vermont. “This leaves me with a couple of difficulties… I must, of course, contend with weather conditions, which in Vermont are generally less than ideal.”

The contrasting closure protocol of Montpelier High School highlights Norwich University’s unique position.

“We have closed down the school twice this year, three times the last year, and three times for the year before that one,” said a Montpelier High School official over the phone interview. “…a total number of eight times in the last three school years.”

This perspective underscores the importance of considering weather conditions for the safety and well-being of the campus community, emphasizing potential risks such as icy roads, reduced visibility, and snow accumulation that could lead to accidents and injuries.

In response, Norwich’s commuters and campus personnel are advised to remain vigilant and meticulously plan for weather conditions.

Faculty are tasked with making judicious decisions regarding class cancellations and balancing educational responsibilities with safety concerns.

Commuting students similarly navigate the decision-making process, evaluating the risks of travel against the academic implications of missing class. They are encouraged to communicate with their professors to maintain coursework continuity during adverse conditions.

“I have spent a lot of time around young people,” McCollough said, “One of the overarching things that I encourage for everyone to do is to make their own decisions and not have someone or something choose it for you, even when it comes to weather because no one is going to choose for you.”