Mechanical engineer student aims to become future space force officer

Thomas Ward is a junior mechanical engineer major, expected to graduate with the class of 2024. He is a part of the Corps of Cadets – part of Headquarters Company – and is from Lexington, Kentucky.

What is your major(s)/minor(s), and why did you choose it? What is the story behind your choice of major? 

I am a mechanical engineer. I chose mechanical engineering because I have always loved building and designing robots and rockets as a kid, and I wanted to continue that pursuit after I graduated.

What led you to Norwich? How did you find out about the school? 

In my freshman year of high school, I got a letter in the mail from Norwich and decided to check it out, and I really fell in love with the campus. To me, Norwich felt like a school that cared and wanted me to be here, and when it came down to me making a final decision, that made all the difference.

What are your hobbies and extracurriculars on campus and in your personal life?

I am a member of our campus’s Arnold Air Society and i5 chapter, Vice Chair of the Student Senate, a mentor for Buddy-Up, a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and a member of the Norwich Society of Historical Swordsmanship.

What are your post-graduation goals? Do you have a dream career or one that is already set? 

My goal is to graduate and to commission into the United States Air Force or Space Force. I am currently in the interviewing process to become a Space Operations Officer and am waiting to hear back from the Air Force’s rated officer board. I intend to also get my master’s degree in engineering sometime in the future.