The Guidon

Celebrating 100 Years of Norwich University Student News

The Guidon

The Guidon

Determined drill team leader prepares for submarine service

Patrick Nguyen is a Sophomore at Norwich University, where he is enrolled in the Corps of Cadets and pursuing a major in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a minor in Mathematics. “Norwich stood out to me for several reasons – the rich tradition of the Drill Team, the intimate student-to-faculty ratio, and the distinction of being the oldest private military college in the nation,” Nguyen said about his decision to attend the university.

Originally from Woodbury, MN, Nguyen’s upbringing as a military brat saw him living in Japan for 5 years and spending another year in Italy, where he graduated from Vicenza High School. At Norwich, he is deeply involved in campus life beyond academics. A member of the Drill Team, it “allows me to express my passion for precision and discipline through activities like marching and rifle spinning,” Nguyen explained. He also serves as the S-3 AOIC for the Naval Battalion, treasurer for the IEEE club, and is an active member of the Filipino-American Organization.

A guiding philosophy for Nguyen is “Be the coffee bean,” inspired by a story that reminds him “to not merely endure challenges but to transform them, just as the coffee bean changes the water it’s boiled in.” Looking ahead, Nguyen said he is “eager to serve as a Submarine Officer on a fast attack sub upon commissioning,” though a role as a Surface Warfare Officer on a DDG is also appealing if that doesn’t work out. His commitment to the Navy is currently five years, but he is “open to extending it based on my experiences in the fleet.”

Should he transition out of military service, Nguyen aspires to leverage his engineering skills in the defense contractor industry. In his free time, the well-rounded student “enjoys calisthenics, digital drawing, playing the piano, and skiing.”